Deutsch Intern
Sinologie in Würzburg

FAQ 'China Business and Economics'

Master Program in Chinese Business and Economics FAQ

Q: What are the requirements for this master program?
A: First, you need to have a BA in Chinese studies or an equivalent degree with a grade of 1.9 or above. Your BA degree should document at least 40 ECTS earned in Modern Chinese and 30 ECTS in Chinese Studies. If you did your undergraduate studies in another field, but have China-related qualifications, you should contact us directly to clarify whether you are eligible to apply. Second, you should have studied at least half a year at a university in (greater) China (greater China: mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore) (20 ECTS from language and Chinese Studies courses). Finally, you can document your interest in economic and business related topics with a relevant course (5 ECTS) attended at BA level or equivalent experiences.

Q: What if my BA grade does not meet the minimum requirement of 1.9?
A: Applicants who fulfil all other formal requirements but have a BA grade worse than 1.9 will be invited for an interview. During the interview a small team will test whether the applicants’ qualifications are sufficient for the program regardless the grade achieved in the BA.

Q: Are there special regulations for Chinese native speakers?
A: If you are a Chinese native speaker, you obviously do not need to prove your Chinese language proficiency with a HSK or similar documents. You also will not have to attend the modern Chinese language classes. However, as a substitute you are required to read and summarize or translate a selected number of modern Chinese publications on economic topics into English so that we can give you a grade for the class in modern Chinese. The texts and tasks will be defined by the chair of China Business and Economics to suit your research interest. Ideally the texts will be of use for your master thesis preparation.

Q: Which documents do I need for the application?
A: You need your BA certificate (or transcript of records documenting your study progress until the time of application), some document regarding your Chinese language proficiency (if not clear from BA certificate), proof of stay in (greater) China (greater China: mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore), a CV (German or English) and a Letter of Motivation (English).

Q: Do you need original documents or copies/scans?
A: Please do not send us your original documents. Rather copies (via regular mail) or scans (via email) are preferred. Scans in pdf-format are preferred.

Q: Can I send my application via email?
A: Yes, you can. Please direct your email to

Q: What does the application process look like?
A: First, send your application by March 15th at the latest. We will check the applications. If you fulfil all the formal requirements for admission and your BA degree grade is 1.9 or better, you will receive a letter of admission in May. If you fulfil all the formal requirements, but your BA degree is worse than 1.9 you will be invited for an interview in April. In case you are not in Germany, we can conduct the interview via Skype. After the interview we need about one week to notify you whether you have been accepted.

Q: When do I get the admission letter?
A: After being accepted, we will send out the letters of admission in May. If you are an EU citizen, you can directly use this to enroll at our university. Non-EU citizens have to first send verified copies of all their necessary documents to the International Office of the university by July 15. They will receive another formal admission letter from the International Office with which they can then enroll.

Q: Do I need specific knowledge in economics or business administration before I start the program?
A: No. You are expected to document a certain interest in China’s economy, but you do not need any specialized knowledge of economics or business administration. As part of the master program you will attend a limited number of lectures and seminars in economics and business administration at the BA level to prepare you for lectures and seminars in economics and business administration at master level.

Q: Do I have to know Chinese, before I start the program?A: Definitely yes! The program assumes that you already have a very good grasp of modern Chinese (oral and written!). Language classes are a minor part of the program and dedicated to enhance your level of Chinese communication and reading proficiency with regard to economic topics. We assume that you will be able to also use Chinese sources for your term papers and master thesis where appropriate. If your BA was in economics or business administration and you do not know any or only little Chinese, but you want to study China's economy, please refer to the MA program “China Language and Economy”.

Q: Do I have to take Chinese language classes even though I learned Chinese during my BA studies?
A: Yes, you have to attend some senior level language classes that will help you to further develop your language skills and gain specific language competences regarding economic topics.

Q: What other languages do I need to know?
A: Languages of instruction are English, German and Chinese. You need to proof your English proficiency (at least B2 level). This can be done by providing a TOEFL certificate (at least 72 points), an IELTS certificate (grade 6.0 or better), a Cambridge First Certificate in English, a German university entrance qualification (Abiturzeugnis, English classes finished with grade "Befriedigend" or better), a foreign university entrance qualification that is equivalent to the German Abitur, or other proof that you already have finished training (e.g. an undergraduate degree) which required English skills equal to or better than the requirements listed above. Foreign students do also need to proof their German proficiency (at least B2 level). A certificate has to be provided to the International Office. For Chinese requirements please refer to the question above.

Q: Do students of this program have to spend some time in China?
A: No, the MSc CBE does not require you to go to China. To be admitted to the study program you have to prove that you already studied at least one term in China. Hence we assume that you already have China experience. Naturally it is possible to spend term breaks in China. Also you are able to take official leave for a term to study in China or for an internship with a firm in China. In case you plan another stay at a Chinese university we can help you via the ECLC at Peking University or our contacts to other universities. Outstanding students have in the past successfully applied for scholarships for doing research in China in preparation of their master thesis.

Q: What are the topics covered in the curriculum dedicated to China's economy?
A: The part of the curriculum dedicated to China's economy covers major economic developments and policies, business and finance, different aspects of China’s international economic and business relations as well as specific topics such as China's national innovation system. In addition, several courses are dedicated to research methodology and case studies.

Q: Why do I have to visit so many classes in economics and business administration?
A: With the MSc CBE you earn a degree in Economics. This of course implies that you should have proficient knowledge of economic theory and methods. In addition, you need substantial knowledge in economic theory to understand China’s economy and business management related to China.

Q: What classes do I have to take in economics and business administration?
A: The lectures “Introduction to economics” and “Introduction to Business Administration” are obligatory for all students. Please note that these classes are taught in German. Apart from that you are required to choose electives at the BA level (15 ECTS) and MA level (25 ECTS) among the modules and courses offered at the Department of Economics. A list with the seminars and lectures eligible as electives is included in the specific study program regulation.

Q: Due to the Corona crisis I could not study at a Chinese university. May I still join the program?
A: Please get in touch with us.

Q: What if I still have questions?
A: Write us an email ( but please make sure to have read the FAQs carefully before doing so.